Endpoint Security: Host Intrusion Detection
A Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) is a centrally managed, highly configurable security solution that monitors individual hosts and endpoints for malicious activity. It’s like a firewall, IDS/IPS, and antivirus solution rolled into one, that runs on individual servers or client machines. As soon as a HIPS detects a threat, it can alert admins and act on the threat.
Depending on the product, a HIPS achieves intrusion detection through any one or all of the following methods:
- Signature pattern analysis– By looking for signatures of known malware
- Behavior analysis– By inspecting bandwidth, protocols, and ports for anomalous behavior
- Stateful packet inspection– By inspecting packets for abnormalities in the state of the protocol
The best solutions are capable of protecting hosts and other endpoints against a variety of known, emerging, and even zero-day threats.
Most Host Intrusion Prevention Systems come with myriad rules that need to be fine-tuned to provide maximum protection. Unless a HIPS is configured optimally, you’ll see a number of false positives while critical threats slip through.
Request a Free Consultation
Deploy a Comprehensive Security Solution with Host Intrusion Detection Solutions from Adapture.
Our solutions architects are backed by decades of experience in cybersecurity. Having been exposed to a variety of security solutions, business environments, threats, and vulnerabilities, we know how to respond to any scenario.
If needed, we can conduct risk and vulnerability assessments before even touching your HIPS. These assessments will help us understand exactly what vulnerabilities and threats endanger your infrastructure. That knowledge will guide us in designing effective security policies and HIPS rules.
We can do any or all of the following:
- Conduct risk and vulnerability assessments
- Deploy and fine-tune your HIPS to maximize security and minimize false positives
- Architect security policies and assist in rule-setting
- Train in-house administrators in harnessing the HIPS’ full potential
- Manage and monitor your HIPS for you